View Single Post
Old 16th September 2017, 06:08

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Slowly getting there, but other projects and real life seem to be getting in the way this year!
But after a trip to the Haynes breakfast club last weekend where it was noticeably colder going over the hills, i've been spurred back into action on the heater.

Original idea was to reuse a modified version of the Bentley pull switch. But.. as per the vents, i was a bit surprised at it's construction "behind the scenes".

Yes the knob is chomed metal and the main shaft is brass, but everything else is plastic and designed to give the illusion of quality. i.e. it feels so smooth not because it's all made of top quality materials, but because there is a small plastic spur gear that that is encased in grease and designed to give the smooth feel. The world moves on i suppose...

Plus it was also a bit long, so i ordered a marine pull switch which was <£10 and is made all of brass and is lovely behind-the-scenes, but has a rubbish plastic knob.

So a quick bit of tinkering resulted in me transplanting the knob from the Bentley switch onto the Marine switch and it gave me just what i needed!

Centre console was then painted, some pull/push cable recovered from the original Vitesse was found in the back of the Garage and everything assembled on the car.

You can see the heater ducting on the passengers side where it comes out of the Vitesse distribution box, so i'm making it shiny, for the moment. Whereas on the drivers side it will all be hidden and you can just see the end of it where i was starting to fit it under the dash.

The Distribution box is wired up to the hot/cold lever and works a treat at regulating airflow.
Whereas the lever on the left for demisting the windscreen is just there for comedy purposes atm but may do something later.

I'm getting there!

(see how i avoided one single knob gag in this post! i must be tired!)