Thread: IVA Application
View Single Post
Old 1st June 2015, 18:04

Bobnic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris View Post
Had an email through today saying my application has been successfully processed and they'll be in touch with a date so I've passed the form filling in test anyway.

One thing I wanted to check, how do they actually assess the speedo calibration? is it with a radar gun over a section of the yard or do they do it on the rolling road. The MOT station rolling road brake tester only went up to 10mph so not much use.
Hi Morris. You're nearly there!! Speed was tested on a rolling road @ Bristol Test centre. He checked speedo against various known roller speeds (in 10s IIRC) up to and just above 70mph, because that's obviously only as fast as you will go in a BMW powered kit car.....
Have you got proof of the date of birth of your engine, so they test the emissions using that year's criteria? If not, I somehow managed to email BMW with chassis and engine numbers from the donor and got a 'Birth Certificate', all for free, great service, I thought! There was also a brake balance test he got me to do, which was accelerate as hard as possible, then slam the brakes on, to make sure the fronts lock before the rears. Also you need access to the engine and chassis number relatively easily. Take lots of cable ties, nut covers, and anything else you can take with you!!

Good luck, it's a terrifying and simultaneously exhilarating experience (when you pass!), well was for me anyway!!

Rob