Thread: Dutton Dementia
View Single Post
Old 8th November 2022, 15:33

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Bingo!

These rather uninspiring bits of decades old metal lurking on my workbench in the late Autumn sunshine are, in fact, the holy grail! They're the engine mounting brackets which bolt to the sides of the Imp derived engine, and to which the rubbers are attached.

My search for these elusive items began with enquiry of the Hillman Avenger Talbot Sunbeam HATS cars FB group, which drew a blank, but threw up a link to the FB Talbot Sunbeam and Avengers parts group. A little lateral thinking by a member brought the suggestion that I should try the FB Hillman Imp group, as the Sunbeam engines lend themselves to conversion back to their parent, and someone might have a pair of now redundant brackets high on a dusty garage shelf. This proved to be the case and a super helpful chap in N. Ireland not only dug them out, but posted them to me 1st Class for a very reasonable sum. Result!

With only the prop. shaft (for hybridising) left to collect next week, and a compatible speedo, which I'm tracking on Ebay, major parts sourcing difficulties should be largely over - famous last words!

I'm off to the Classic Car Show at the NEC on Friday where I can touch base with possible helpful contacts.

Regards, Mick