View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2014, 18:48

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Tuesday - Part 2:
The hearing test took the wind out of my sails a bit, even though I've know there was a problem for a while.

So I hoped starting on the aero screen wind breaks would help lift my spirits a bit.

But it quickly became apparent that I could mark/line this up until the scuttle was trimmed.

And I couldn't do that until my wife was back to give me a hand lifting the body shell.

Note:
It was around this time the guy stopped to say how much he liked the car and wished me well, so he really cheered me up.

I have been following how Swifty had made a "rolled" edge for his cockpit and I do have some spare conduit that I could use.

I think this will work well across the scuttle as it avoids the need to build a lip in front of the dash.

But I can't work out if I want to continue this along the cockpit sides as well.

If I do I will need to work out a way of blending the sides in with the rear cockpit lip.
( Or a way to blend in the cockpit sides to the rolled edge across the scuttle. )

When my wife returned the body shell was lifted back into place and I could work out where to make the cut.

I also marked up the front cockpit corners using the same cutting disc I used before.
( I did remember to put this to one side so it wouldn't get used! )

Eventually I had a guide line for the jig saw.

I even remembered to pull the steering column out a bit so I wouldn't cut the indicator stalk off by mistake.

And with the dust sheet removed you can get a better view of the scuttle.

I am really happy with the way it looks now, even though I still have to add a final layer of filler.

Although what I am most proud of is the fact that I have built this whole scuttle from scratch.

And when I cut the old scuttle out, I had no idea if I would be able to do this at all, a real leap of faith.

The other bit of good news is that I can now move on to start work on the wind break.

But that will be another day, cheers, Paul.

Last edited by Paul L; 3rd September 2014 at 06:13.. Reason: Typo