View Single Post
Old 7th September 2014, 16:19

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Sunday Service:
I was only able to grab a few short sessions on the car today...

I started by removing the formers from the new side lip profiles.

At the stroke of midday I started the angle grinder to trim / tidy up the area.

Then I started the process of building up the lip along the new sides.

Unfortunately, the clamps for the formers prevented me from working on the very ends of the lip.

But that may not matter by the time I have trimmed this lip into shape.

While I was fibre glassing I also added some more matting to the inside of the lip.

This means that the middle section of this lip is now complete as far as fibre glassing is concerned.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

During my next short session I removed the formers from the new corners.

That allowed me to get some fibreglass filler along the inside edge as before.

I also started to apply fibreglass filler to the scuttle in front of the lip.

As I need to get the basic shape / level sorted out before I start trimming the wind break lip.
( Obviously the height of the lip needs to be relative to the final level of the scuttle surface. )

As you can see, I have used up the last of the green filler & have started on some new brown stuff.
( The green stuff was out of stock when I tried to buy some more. )

So by the time I have finished applying filler to the whole scuttle it really will be a patchwork quilt.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My final session of the day was with the long board, as I tried to put a basic shape on the filler.

Clearly there is a lot more work required before I have anything close to a presentable finish.

But there are some encouraging signs that I will be able to blend the new scuttle into the sides of the original body shell.

Whether I can create a "sweeping arc" across the length of the scuttle is another story altogether.

But at the very least I should be able to achieve a smooth, if slightly undulating, surface.

Until next time, take care, Paul.