View Single Post
Old 17th September 2013, 17:21

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Glad you like the pictures Phil, maybe you and Barry will join me next year?

That's interesting information about the thermal efficiency of the alloy radiators being inferior to copper Michiel. I hadn't really thought about it, but in my case the Vitesse radiator was simply too tall to use. If I'd lowered it far enough to fit under the bonnet it would've fouled speed bumps

The alloy racing radiator I fitted is about the same thickness as the original Vitesse one, but has about five times as many channels and fins. I probably would never have known there was a cooling issue if I hadn't run it down the motorway for three hours at a time at 70mph. In normal use it stays well within limits.

So, an MR2 roadster radiator is on order, which is short and wide at 320mm high by 650mm wide and under £50 new, and I'll be mounting that in the back end and plumbing it in between the front radiator bottom hose and the water pump inlet.

Not sure if it'll need its own fan, but it'll be easy enough to retro fit one if I feel it's necessary.

That should provide enough belt'n'braces cooling for high speed runs at Bonneville salt flats. Now there's a thought...