View Single Post
Old 18th September 2013, 18:30

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road
Default Spyder Softail

Started stage 1 of my 'improvements' today, the conversion to Softail spec. With the car jacked up and the wheels off, access to the top of the spring clamp is pretty good (note the liberal covering of Goodwood mud still spattered on everything) -

It didn't take long to whip the spring out complete with the 75mm lowering block -

A couple of seconds with the old angle grinder and I'd separated three more leaves from the spring stack -

After a bit of rooting around in the scrap metal box I found a suitable bit of galvanised 40mm box section to turn into a not quite as low lowering block -

As you can see the new block is about half the height of the old one.

The whole thing is now bolted back in place, but with the car still up on axle stands I've no idea what difference it'll have made to the ride height yet. I'm hoping it will sit about an inch higher and be a bit more forgiving over the bumpy stuff.

I'll be swapping the front arb for an uprated one tomorrow to compensate for the reduced rear roll stiffness, and I'm hoping that the 150lb Spitfire front springs arrive so I can make a start on raising and softening the front end too.

More tomorrow, hopefully.