View Single Post
Old 9th July 2015, 18:32

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Thursday - Part 3:
I spent absolutely ages going through photos, checking things on line and I even found the original steering wheel.

By this stage I had remembered to refit the indicator stalk & this reminded me about the self cancelling switch.

This operated by two big lugs on the original wheel, but two pins on the new wooden one.

But I am not going to hammer the pins into position just yet, until I sort everything else out.

One post on line showed that other Spitfire owners had discovered this boss was too big for late model 1500s.

They also showed a simple solution and I'll come to that shortly.

I decided that I needed to work "backwards" to discover how much space I needed.

By now, I'd also worked out the steering wheel was tightened up against the taper in the column.

But the air turned blue when I discovered the brand new steering nut I bought was the wrong part!

Going back to the boss problem, the on line solution was to simply widen the opening in the plastic cover.

Before:

After:

Back in position.

Close, but no cigar.

So I will need to open up the hole just a little bit more and that should do the trick.

But by now I had been cooking in the sunshine and wanted a clear head for this final set up.

Plus my family were back home and my wife wanted some takeaway fish and chips.

So I decided to call it a day and I hope I will get the chance to finish this job at the weekend.

I'll leave you will a photo of the wheel with its centre section in place.

Whilst it was a shame I didn't get more done today, I'd rather take my time and not make a mistake setting up the steering.

So until next time, take care, Paul.

PS

A1 Alpha:
I've enjoyed following Micky1Mo & the Tribute boys designing the new Sammio here.

This is a photo of the new scuttle design being constructed to sit on top of a cut down Spitfire body tub.

I've always said my build will look like a distance relative of Sammios with the original "curvy" scuttle shape.

But now looks like I will have a little bit more in common with the new car.

The only depressing thing is that this new build approach will be miles faster than what I am stuck doing now.

In fact, every job I've had to do today wouldn't be required, as you wouldn't need to take any of these things off in the first place!!