View Single Post
Old 25th July 2015, 15:42

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Inch Forward, Foot Back:
Two packages arrived this week, one significantly bigger than the other.

The replacement radiator from Rimmer Bros had both brackets in the right place.

I also ordered a new radiator cap along with the steering column bushes.

I decided to sort the steering column out first, so stripped it down ready to fit the bottom bush.

Then I used a bit of yoga mat to protect the bush and a washer to help me "tap" the bush evenly into position.

In the end I had a big stack of washers inside the column & used a bit of wood to cushion the hammer blows.

I even managed to get the rubber button to pop out in the right place.

With just one bush in the correct place, there is now plenty of room at the end of the column.

It turns out that the "split" in old top bush is meant to be there, as the new one has one too.

Still, there is no harm in fitting a new one anyway.

With everything back together there is now enough room to fit the steering wheel.

But just when it finally looked like I would be able to fit the column to the bulkhead, disaster struck.

Yes, the main power wire from the ignition switch column has broken off & can't be fixed.

The only good news is that just two small screws hold this piece in place.

So the whole thing has now been removed.

And a new one has been ordered.

Unfortunately, I need to refit this before the column is put back into the bulkhead.

On closer inspection, the white wire in the close up photo above is just hanging on by a thread.

So this was a failure waiting to happen and at least it will be taken care of properly.

If things work out I might be able to spend a whole week on the car in August.

Which would be a big help, as currently I am getting nowhere slowly.

Until next time, take care, Paul.