View Single Post
Old 29th December 2011, 23:17

Inspace is on a distinguished road
Default in Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilfish76 View Post
When i went to visit CR there was a near complete GT in paint shop and a Black GTS which was apparenty brought back after passing IVA tomake look original, items such as interior finishes, changing steering wheel, fitting Dino gauges to dashboard etc , I could have been fobbed off quite easily as i was just amazed by the originallity of the GTS. I am just pausing on doing anything untill i have seen the car from Dehavilland for my own eyes. I am building a kit car not for the want but to keep costs down as i could never afford an original Dino and i will be doing the work myself and learning as i go along. CR don't offer a build manual and i am not convinced that i could carry out the build, However Dehaviland are desgning there car with a complete build manual in mind, which is much better than CR.

Inspace would you be building the car yourself? If so i would like to stay in contact, advice on these things is invaluble.

Cheers
I can only assume the information regarding these cars was given to you by Gordon Ainsby and so has no real bearing on what is really happening. I saw the black GT on my second visit back around late March and I cannot say that it looked a great deal different when I saw it on my last visit in Nov.When I saw it I was surprised because at the time I lead to believe that my car would not be delayed and this car would have no effect on the completion date of mine. It was in November when myself & the previous owner of the car sold that Gordon sold to me visited to attempt to understand what would make someone sell a car belonging to another customer and not refund their money or offer any reason for doing so. Then later decide not to continue building the car and retain my money. Had this man Gordon Ainsby not done this I would not have been forced to look into his background and previous behaviour. All of which is available to anyone who would consider buying from him or offering him a deposit on the promise he would build them a car be doing a company search. Then I found people contacting me one of them being the previous owner of the car Gordon sold to me. Something Gordon Ainsby had forgotten to mention when I was putting down my deposit for a complete car which should be done by April/May of this year (2011).
I also thought that the cars looked good when I first visited Classic Replicas with Gordon Ainsby telling me that they are moulded from a real Dino. Look at the other forums links there is not many other people who believe that. There are a lot of people who feel it is something quite different in fact. Lets face it how many real Dino's do you see and unless one was beside a replica would you spot the difference. That is not the real point here! It is there are so many warnings about this company that you would be crazy to even go back at all. Run for the hills.
Even if the kit were great, the chassis were road worthy, the fact is the fault is with the Behaviour of certain individuals.
I would like to see the Dehavilland company do well because at least they are following a tried and tested formula. Attempting to get a workable prototype on the road and iron out any bugs. Then sell this to customers once with some pride or at least thats what I hope they are going to do. In the days where we had no such luxury as forums and email we would have found it hard to inform each other of misfortune. Today it is a considered process for information before any purchase, especially one so costly.
Lastly no I will not be building a kit or a replica in the foreseeable future. I have been intrigued with all I have found out about building a car but this has largely been caused by the hassles I have had with Classic Replicas & Gordon Ainsby. I have rebuilt several production cars from the ground up and worked in several body shops in my time but would I build a car without a build manual? NO WAY! You would have to be crazy.
Once I have had my money returned from this company I may also visit Dehavilland.

On a different point can I ask what colour was the car you consider near finished? Why do you consider it near finished? I mean did you sit in it, did it have an engine, seats, glass? Did you see a wrapped up car on top of a container outside? This was the car sold to me but belonging to someone else and I was told this car was near completion in fact it would be ready in 10 weeks and that was February.

I am happy to offer you any advice should you require it. Remember that there are at least 5 other users of this site with opinions on Classic Replicas that all have there stories to tell if you have still any doubt.