Thread: Mercedes 300SL
View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2005, 03:37
Kit Car Dreamer

amcagreg is on a distinguished road
Default Mercedes 300SL

I know of about a half dozen attempt to build 300SL s. The most notable was Toney Osterhaus of Gullwings unlimited in Gardena California. Everyone agrees that they were grreat. He went into receivership. His inventory was tied up in courts for year and may have recently been sold to England

Lone Star replicas in Texas make a roadster turnkey replica. I have not heard much of them but what I heard wasn't good

Herman Quint in Connecticutt. Quint motorcars. He made turnkey Gullwings for 25 years (about 30). Most were built on a corvette body. Recently sold to Matt Mazza of Wing Motorcars. Herman's cars were good but they evolved over the year. Originally all corvette parts then later all late model V-8 mercedes with auto transmissions

Thoroughbred Motorcars in Mt Dora Florid. Has made replica SLR kits and turnkeys. Has recently made Gullwing kits. I bought his first kit and am sorting it out as Gil Lonecker has never actually assembled one his kit cars. I have been working on it for a year now.
There are lots of problems to work outbut I am getting there.

One problem is that unlike many kits there are no replica parts (bumpers, badges, hinges, door latches, window frames etc). There were only 1,200 made so obtaining an original part is very very pricey. I have over $30,000 invested in the project already.