View Single Post
Old 19th February 2013, 21:08
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Week 25 update.....

This is going to be a major update so let's see if I can get it all done in one update (I might need to split it if there is a limit on the lines of update).

The week started off with the Flo-flex differential/final drive mount that didn't fit. I made up a spacer a couple of weeks ago and decided to fit it before re-fitting the body tub.

Diff mounting spacer by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Diff mounting spacer by marlinpeter, on Flickr

It now all fits OK. There was some lateral misalignment of the mounting holes which is possibly why the car came with 8mm bolts fitted. I filed out the chassis holes to align to the mount holes so that I could fit 10mm bolts and nylocks.

Diff mounting with spacer by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Next up was the body mounting foam. The build manual calls for body mounting felt which I couldn't find anywhere so I've used some handy self adhesive 3mm thick closed cell foam. It was easy to use and went on a treat.

Body mounting foam by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Body mounting foam by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Then , Saturday morning my two sons were 'press ganged' down to the lock up to help me lift the body tub back on to the chassis to be able to press on with the Engine fitting trials.

The first problem was that the gearbox tunnel fouled on the Marlin gearbox bracket that I had co-opted, so that had to be removed straight away. Here you can see me using my engine hoist to lift the body up for me to work on the gearbox mount underneath.

Body lift!! by marlinpeter, on Flickr

After removing the gearbox bracket, the next obstruction is the top of the gearbox tunnel rests on the top of the gearbox so I've put these 40mm thick blocks of wood to hold the body tub clear.

Next problem.... by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Problem three.....

....the next problem was that I had mounted the engine too far back to fit the cylinder head. I had to modify my 'engine stays' to move the engine forward by 20mm leaving a 5mm gap between the sump and the large chassis cross-member.

Problem three..... by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Problem four....

The next problem after fitting the cylinder head is this bit of cover guide gets in the way of the brake servo.

Problem four.... by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I took a saw to the offending bit of plastic. I don't think it is important.

Problem four...fixed by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I think i'll pause here so I don't lose the whole update.....to be continued....

Last edited by peterux; 19th February 2013 at 21:21.. Reason: spelling