View Single Post
Old 25th May 2013, 07:45

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmiglia View Post
Morning Paul, basically yes the paint strip gun is good. Just about a foot away and concertrate on one area at a time. Move the gun across the surface side to side and if or when you see any bubbles come to surface , use a marker pen to ring them. If you dont they can lay flat once cooled down.
Hmm, I hadn't exactly forgotten this part of the prep, more just decided to leave it out.

Reasoning was that I'd left the shell out in the sunshine every day for two weeks last summer and no bubbles appeared. Coupled with my choice of reflective, silver paint I figured I'd be okay.

Now Mike's posted the bit about the bubbles shrinking back when the heat's off I think I'd better pop out today and buy a heat gun.

The only similar tools I have at my disposal at the moment would be my wife's high-end hair dryer, which is probably man enough for the job (but I'm kind of attached to my testicles), or my wallpaper stripping steamer. I could try using the steamer, but I'd be worried that the body would turn into a big papier mache blob on the garage floor.

Out of interest, has anyone else painted their Sammio without heating and digging out the bubbles? Have any appeared through the paint when the sun shines?