View Single Post
Old 25th May 2013, 09:36

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mr T - Sorry mate, I didn't mean to kick a hornets nest with my heat gun question.

If it helps, here are a few of my thoughts...

AndyP57 did not use a heat gun on the original Cordite/Navigator demonstrator that was at Stoneleigh as that was one of my questions. That car was give a "pro" paint job in the silver that looked great in real life and as far as I know there has been no issues with the finish since.

You know my blue gel coat body shell has lived outside out in all weathers for almost a year and has not always been under a cover. It certainly hasn't broken out in boils during that time.

However, what I have noticed is that the gel coat has simply broken off in places when the body has taken a "slight", as opposed to being hit hard with a hammer, knock.

Deep down I believe this is more to do with quality control issues in the last days of the old Sammio company. You have seen the state my doors were in & some parts of the body are similar (I'll try to take some photos later).

So I would hope that your shell, being must earlier and having a "standard" gel coat is not going to be as big a risk as some of the "newer" kits.

Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will be along to tell you to "Keep calm & carry on painting".

And I can only apologise again for putting any doubt in your mind when you were so close to spraying a final coat and after all the hours you have put in to the prep work.

I really hope there is nothing to worry about, good luck, Paul.