View Single Post
Old 5th January 2022, 23:46
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Just to counter the negativity around electric cars posted so far I just wanted to say that I love mine

I leased the cheapest, slowest 5 seater I could get hold of 3 and a half years ago, a KIA Soul EV, and its fab.

0-60 in 10 seconds but feels so much quicker with the instant torque.

I was curious. I'm partial to an auto, just don't see the point of a manual gearbox in an everyday commuter, family mover shed, so an electric car seemed like the perfect auto to me. Man maths showed me I could lease, maintain, run, insure etc the EV for £1000 less per year than it was costing me to run my then current car, Saab 93 2.0L. No maintenance or MOT for 3 years either, it was a no brainer for the dad taxi.

135 mile range in the summer, 95 miles in the winter. Sounds terrible but I managed to continue doing my normal 12k miles per year no problem at all (until Covid then it went down drastically and threw my man maths out!). Smooth, quiet, instant torque, easy life in traffic jams (lots in the South East), instant torque, programmable cabin warm up in winter, lifted the bonnet once just to take a look, otherwise just tyres replaced, so reliable, oh and instant torque.

Most of our journeys are local, with weekend trips of 100 miles or less generally, and we have a 1 car driveway so charging is not a problem.

Longest trip was 220miles return, a couple of fast charge stops at around 25 mins each was all that was needed to ensure I got home with plenty spare.

Public fast charging needs to catch up, I've never been stranded but you have to plan ahead (a 5 min check on zap map if you are going on a long journey you've not done before) as your plan A could well be hogged by other cars charging. The whole charging network needs standardising, there's currently too many different networks you have to sign up to and have an app for.

EVs are not going to be a fit for everyone just yet but its still early days for the current incarnation (pun intended), I would assume as the government have set goals then the public charging network WILL get better, range is getting better all the time. They are expensive, and could well be the undoing for me personally as the lease cost has gone up a lot for new cars and currently my mileage has gone down drastically since WFH full time since the start of Covid and really only need a shed runaround. We'll see, have it for another 6 months.

Horses for courses, I love it, suites me down to the ground. Would love another one with double the range to take it on longer journeys in quiet comfort.