View Single Post
Old 17th September 2023, 05:02

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default Almost there...

Over the last couple of days, having received my ally angle, I've pitched in with my fan supports. From a left over strip of the ally I'd used to locate the fuel tank, I fabricated four angle brackets to locate the ends of the angle to the body. Two can be seen at the top and bottom of the picture. I used a Tech Screw to locate the top one into the GRP/wood support, the other (and the two bottom ones, having decided on a bottom lateral support) with M6 nuts and bolts.

The 15mm depth of the angle provided insufficient bearing for the fan's leg supports so I made natty pop riveted on fishplates to take them. Note the felt tip F reminder to ensure that I didn't repeat my usual trick of getting things back to front/upside down when assembling down in the cave . It took multiple tries, nibbling a little off each time, to get the length right (and many many more for the lower one) to bridge the opening accurately.

Once the top support (joined to the fan's legs with M4 nuts and bolts) was in place I could carefully dangle the fan, with its bottom fishplates attached, to mark their locating positions on the temporarily wedged in bottom angle. This done, with extreme care, I could then begin final assembly. I'd almost finished when both rain and lumbar discomfort called a halt, with only the end body mounts of the lower angle and wiring attachment/tidying to do for another day.

Regards, Mick