View Single Post
Old 7th November 2014, 13:59

Paul L is on a distinguished road

A Bit better:
Caught another short break in the weather to start sanding down the body filler.

It is a lot better in real life than it looks in the photo.

Whilst the inside of the lid will be hidden when the car is on the road, I might follow Scottie's example and use it as a test best.

As this could be an idea place for me to practise my final bodywork preparation and learn how to hand paint a car.

That way, any mistakes I make would not be a real problem.

But for now, the clouds were returning, so I put the lid away and then tidied up the mess I had just made in the garden.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

DVLA Chassis Rules:
DaveCymru posted an interesting bit of information on the DVLA / V5C thread I started yesterday.

Q) We know that cutting or shortening a chassis is classed as modification but is this relative to the vehicle wheelbase i.e. the chassis must remain uncut between the 2 axles but anything forward of front or aft of rear suspension mounts can be removed?

A) Chassis includes the full original length of the longitudinal members including to the front of the front axle and to the rear of the rear axle.

Dave was happy to see that the Herald outriggers could be removed at the start of a build and this would still be OK with the DVLA.

But this answer has made me have another look at my highlighted diagram from Rimmer Bros.

Does that mean that the chassis is only counted as the two main "beams" that reach the front cross member?

In other words, could the "bracing cross member" in the diagram be considered as an addition to the chassis?

Similarly, would the sections of the "front cross member" that extend beyond the chassis rails be considered additions?

I still haven't worked out how I am going to get my bonnet to hinge properly, but knowing what I must keep and what I can cut would be a big help.

Cheers, Paul.