View Single Post
Old 14th July 2018, 07:35

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Dave – First things first, even though you may be having a few set backs at the moment…

You are still progressing at a great pace and are on schedule to complete your build years faster than most of us on here.

But the fact our initial deadline for finishing is always missed is something we all have in common.

One thing I did learn during my build is that both metal and fibreglass can be cut and fixed.

However, before you read any of the following, check my posts on DVLA Registration & VHI rules here:

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...56&postcount=8

I am 100% positive that everything I did to my chassis is within the “original unmodified” rules/definitions.

But you need to convince yourself before you follow my lead.

I’ve struggled to find any decent photos of the Alpha bonnet hinge arrangement.

This photo suggests that the bonnet is located much closer to the chassis.
( And it doesn’t look like the Spitfire brackets are in place. )

I also had those extra-large bonnet brackets on my Spitfire 1500 donor.

But they had to go in order to get my bonnet anywhere near fitting.

They also revealed rust damage that I cut out and then a repair panel was welded into place.

Finally, I committed to my understanding of the DVLA chassis rules and did this.

I made a set of very simple ‘scissor’ hinges which lowered the pivot point based on Mister Towed's build.
( Excuse the work-in-progress photos with the wrong bolts in. )

Which gives the bonnet the full tilt it has today.

I also chopped off the lower valance section of my bonnet, reshaped it & refitted it.

This was the final piece of my bonnet jigsaw that allowed the bottom edge to sit in between the chassis rails.

As before, by the time you’ve finished, no one will know the changes you made.

Hope that helps and good luck, Paul.