View Single Post
Old 13th August 2014, 17:54

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Oxford - No, I was the foolish one for believing the Cordite was an improvement on the Spyder and an easier build.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A start...
Only had a small chance to work on the day today, but did want to start repairing the latest gash.

However, before I moved the body shell I went back to the previous gaping wound.

There are just two small sections left to do.

So I removed the bracket and tidied up the edges of the fibreglass.

Then I recycled a section from the "former" I'd used on the spare hump.

Looking at this, it dawned on me, that it would have been a better idea to use hardboard under the brackets.

Having hardboard behind the "wound" held in place by the brackets would certainly make filling in the gaps a lot easier to do.

My wife helped me move the body shell so I could work on it.

Here is a photo of the rear and although it doesn't look like it, the widened arch is very close to the size of the uncut one.

By the time I add the second hump, there will be unmatched curves all over the place, so this will just have to do.

At least it will look a bit better when I trim the edge of the driver's side (right of photo) to match(ish) the passenger side.

I layered on some parcel tape into the gap.

And after cutting out a lot of matting strips I was ready to start.

But Sod's Law meant the sky now looked like this.

So as a precaution I covered the rest of the car & grabbed a tarpaulin to protect the body shell.

The last section of the gaping would was finally sealed.

I will finish this off when the former has been removed.

I also managed to get most of the latest gash joined up as well.

I did get a little wet and had to work under the tarpaulin briefly, but thankfully it was a very short shower.

Still, I wrapped up my work to give it a better chance of setting if the rain returned.

Right, I'm off down the pub to meet my mate, the one who taught me to weld.

So until next time, take care, Paul.