View Single Post
Old 17th March 2012, 11:14

thecarbuilder246 is on a distinguished road

Hi dino builders.
Just to add some more into the mix if your interested go to JHClassic's web site and take a look at his gallery.Top of the page is DGT0001 the vey first dgt produced and used in nearly all of the companies advertising.One thing that shows up is the lack of a quarter lite on the door window. And the first car also had a rain gutter too,that seem to disappear on later cars.
As to the missing lower panels front and rear these have been omitted to enable the shell to fit over the chassis. Easy fix really.Just glass in some panel edge returns to the shell front and rear, make a simple one off mould the correct (ish) profile and then fibreglass that. Trim and finally bolt to panel edge returns on the bodyshell. These could be finished in black gelcoat and left as is. Maybe cascu might be willing to mould these and offer them to dgt owners? Just a thought.
I think your right with the droppy nose being a fault of bonding in the floor/wheelwell. I've cut away most of the the floor on mine and rebuilt the wheelwell as I've hinged the bonnet the correct way and mounted these on the front chassis. I've move the radiator back about 100mm,fitted the fans to the front and the nose does sit alot better. If you look at the body swage line this runs through front to back almost horizontal to the road.
Another thing that can make the dgt look wrong is when the bumpers are fitted poorly-sloping down as they sweep around from the front to the side,both front and back.This also adds the the droppy nose look!!
With the pulled in wheel look again some cars seem to have it and some don't. Could this be down to wheel offset? I guess some adjustment to suspension could alleviate that? or fitting some concentric wheel spacers.
One thing I've come across with all Jhclassic's car and deon cars is a small dent on the passenger side door. Located about 10 inches from the front of the door and just above the swage line. Must have been on the original when the first moulds were taken. Looks like a carpark dink! Remember spotting this on a dark blue dgt at the Stoneliegh kit car show some years ago.There were several other dgts there that day and they all had it!
But as I said in my earlier post would the average guy in the real world know?