View Single Post
Old 28th September 2015, 13:39

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Micky1Mo & Scottie - Cheers chaps.

I've had a good run at it recently and have completed lots of jobs since building the bonnet bulge.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sunday:
No car work, but got second coat of oil on the garden furniture in preparation for winter storage.

Followed by a family trip "down the road" to watch a bit of rugby.

Apparently we were part of a record attendance for a Rugby World Cup match.

Shopping Update:
I've now ordered the following:
- A new rear light.
- Some 35 amp glass fuses, as there shouldn't have been a 25 amp one there in the first place.
- A clip for the accelerator pedal to hold the cable in place, which was missing from my donor.
- A drain hose for the rear carb, also missing from my donor.

Falling In Love Again:
A passing estate agent stopped for a chat today and, like many before him, described my efforts as a "labour of love".

Well, there have been times when I felt this project had become a huge millstone and a joyless chore.

But after getting the engine started on Saturday and a nice day out my family on Sunday, things are really looking up.

I know there is still a long way to go, but it really does feel like this project is firmly heading in the right direction now.

So even though I could only get a short time on the car today, it is all good.

Got the hand brake refitted, but not properly adjusted yet.

This was a bit of a pain to do when I dropped it and the spring loaded button popped out.

But eventually I managed to get all the various bits to line up and it does operate the way it should.

Then I jacked the car up and set the rear up on two sets of wooden blocks, either side of the exhausts.

There were two reasons for doing this, the first was to give me access to tighten up the exhaust claps.

See "Clutch Problems" below for the second.

In the absence of an accelerator pedal clip, I re-drilled the fitting hole to at least align the cable properly.

This was enough to keep the cable attached for today's attempt at restarting the engine.

Some on line research suggested the rev counter might need nothing more than a gentle tap to bring it back to life.

Initially tapping it made no difference, but a little while later it was working again.

The fact the engine started up again today really does lift my spirits, so here is a slightly longer video clip.

https://youtu.be/NjJ0lml53uI

Not as much smoke from the engine today, but lots coming out of the tail pipes, hitting the hedge and then blowing back over me.

Clutch Problems:
The other reason for getting the rear of the car on blocks, with the wheels off the ground, was to test the clutch.

I still can't budge the pedal, but one tip on Deggsy's A352 build was to "throw it into 3rd" so see if that would help.

So with the engine running, and the brakes covered, I threw it into 3rd and absolutely nothing happened.

In fact, I can happily move the gear lever through all 4 gears and it makes no difference what so ever.

So I am definitely stuck in neutral for now.

Got to go now, but I will try to reply to other build thread this evening, cheers, Paul.