View Single Post
Old 27th October 2015, 17:01

Paul L is on a distinguished road

And it was all going so well - Part 1:
I wanted to see if I could sort out why the fuel gauge was reading low before the body shell went back on.

So I started by simply unbolting the earth connection and cleaning the frame back to bare metal.

But a good earth was clearly not the problem and cleaning the contacts for the wires didn't help either.

Eventually I was able to get the gauge to move over to the right.

But this was because I had the sender unit in my hand.

However, at least I knew both the gauge and sender unit worked.

My real fear was that by turning the fuel feed pipe through 180 degrees it was fouling the float arm.

It was only while I was trying to look inside the tank to see what was going on that the light bulb finally came on.

Not easy to see in this photo, but the tank, along with the rest of the car, is on a slope.

So the reason the gauge is reading low, is that the petrol is "pooled" on one side and giving a low reading.

Which means that in the famous words of Roberto De Vicenzo.... "What a stupid I am."

Tidied up the rear wiring loom along the frame work and then continued into the boot area.

Cleaned up the three earthing points back to bare metal.

Removed all the rear lighting as the testing is complete and then bolted the earth connections into place.

Note:
I will zip tie the loom out of the way when I have sealed off the gap between the boot floor and the body shell.

There are a few "factory" holes left in the top of the bulkhead.

So I covered them with come card and masking tape to prevent bonding paste "leaking" below.

I have used a bit of yoga mat in the section below the rear view mirror mounting point.

So I will then be able to pull this out from below when the time comes to fit the mirror.

Sprayed some black paint on to the front over hang.

Not a great photo, but various sections of the inside edge of the rear arches needed a bit of a trim.

Dug out my tie down straps to check they were all working.

Some are in a sorry state, but should be able to hold the body shell in place when the time comes.

I started measuring out some bonding paste.

So I now have 2 tubs with 400ml in them, but no catalyst added.

Because, believe it or not, I am finally ready to bond the body shell on.

Or at least I thought I was...

End of Part 1...