View Single Post
Old 24th November 2015, 20:02
Enthusiast

pompeyal is on a distinguished road
Default The bonnet continued

I have had other thoughts on how I should approach making a new bonnet, as I had half a sheet of 9mm MDF kicking around I though I would try to shape it into the form of the bonnet. There is a double curve on the existing bonnet and unfortunately it doesn’t correctly follow the curvature of the wings, reason being is from the original light pods forward, the curvature wasn’t in close proximity of the wings so it wasn’t obvious, now that the new bonnet is, I will need it to follow the wing curve precisely. I placed the board over the car covering the engine bay and weighted the corners to encourage the board to deform.

To help along the process I draped a damp sheet over the board

Over night there was some movement in the shape of the board so to encourage it even more I re dampened the cloth and added more weight

Continually dampening the cloth in the morning and evening the spring back has reduced quite well so I have started reducing and re positioning the weights. I will be continuing this until the board stays in the form required without the aid of weights.

The double curvature is also happening so when finished it will not just look like a one dimensional curved board.