View Single Post
Old 29th August 2014, 16:48

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Borrowed Time:
Only had a short time available for the car today and thought I would kill two birds with one stone.

I wanted to extend the rear cockpit lip around the freshly trimmed corner on the driver's side.

I also wanted to extend the scuttle so that I can finalise where the aero screen will go.

Which in turn, will allow me to start work on the wind deflector "lip" for the top of the scuttle.

Well that was the plan anyway, although things didn't quite work out like that in the end.

My first problem was since I've trimmed the cockpit sides, the hardboard I have doesn't to cover the whole scuttle.

So I simply re-used one of my old formers and lined it up at one end...

And left the other end a bit short.

I also had to cut some slots in the hardboard so I could get the clamps in place.

With the body shell removed and turned upside down I was ready to start on the cockpit corner lip.

It was only at this point did I realised that my entire collection of clamps where already in use.

So I will have to come back to that corner another day.

Instead I ground down the edge of the existing scuttle to help key it for the matting to go on top.

But before I started any more work I wrapped up the rest of the car.

As, once again, the sky looked like this.

I actually ended up using a bit more matting than this during the two fibre glassing sessions I managed to do.

My theory is that by overlapping the various difference shaped pieces I am not creating a single, weaker, join line.

Anyway, this is what I ended up with.

And I just had time to cover it up before the rain finally arrived.

With a bit of luck I might get a chance to complete the scuttle extension tomorrow.

Cheers, Paul.