View Single Post
Old 8th May 2016, 22:10

ThatAmericanChap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcbiker View Post
That looks like a superb show. What is your favourite era ?

Not sure I can answer that, Dave. I'm captivated by the Golden Era road racers - from the early postwar period right into the mid-1950s - both the Italian and British, not simply for their looks, but for their drivability. There's something stunning about thrashing a nose-heavy, live axle roadster into a corner and secretly patting yourself on the back for checking the fuel level before doing so, knowing that the difference between understeer going in and oversteer coming out relies so heavily upon that critical front / rear weight ratio. Those open-air cars are the closest thing on the planet to riding a Black Lightning.

I love Veteran motorcars, and have owned two - an '03 D D-B Type N (current) and an '02 Olds (long past) - but treated both as drivers, and not as some sort of historical treasure. I truly like the 1899 Societe Parisienne Vickie which Hyman has been trying to sell for more than a year:

http://hymanltd.com/vehicles/5480-18...a-combination/

but it's been so heavily restored, and has so little provenance that I expect it will languish for sale for quite some time.

Visually, I like the French Connexion stuff - the Delahaye 135m, 165 and 175s, and the Delage D8-120 which came to life after Delage's merger with them at the end of the 1930s; the teardrop Talbot-Lagos (and the T-26 whose front elevation inspired Enzo Ferrari), the Avions Voisin C25 Aerodyne, and its later imitators (though I find most Tatras rather laughable), but have no desire for one (and couldn't afford the cost these days in any event).

I appreciate the detail in Brass Era stuff as well - Marmons and Maxwells and Mitchells (oh my), but again, not something I'd want to own. I guess the whole answer is, "I like cars that have wheels." Stupid answer, I know - but consider who you asked.

The Cobra aside how about yourself, Dave?