View Single Post
Old 5th November 2016, 13:08

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

... and the Replicar is a snip at a mere £7,200 for the kit, plus donor, plus trimming, plus IVA fees at £450, plus £90 for each retest when it fails, plus £235 road tax when it passes, etc, etc.

Should be fairly easy to get a basic one on the road for about fifteen thousand Pounds/Euros/US Dollars (whatever, they're all pretty much the same since ExBrit).

Based on his previous Sammio offerings, I don't think Gary's new model will cost even half that to build to a high standard, more like a third.

As for the suspension and handling, the old swing axle setup is much maligned and works perfectly well on a lightweight sports car. After all, if it was good enough for the Mercedes Gullwing...

Also, Phil J took his Herald Courier van based Spyder to a race track and his car was poo pooed by a chap with a Lotus Eleven replica with rose jointed independent suspension, etc, etc, etc. Phil trounced him on the track.

I agree that prices have risen for restored Triumph Heralds and Spitfires, but millions of them were sold and they're still cheap in comparison to just about anything else from the period.

I recently bought a solid, rust free 1968 Spitfire chassis for £35. Its body panels had dissolved into dust long ago and it would cost more to replace them than the restored car would be worth, so I don't feel guilty about using it as a donor for a kit car. I'm going to have it grit blasted and galvanised, and I'm pretty sure I'll rot away before it does.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

http://www.mevltd.co.uk/kit-cars/mev-replicar/pricing