View Single Post
Old 30th October 2012, 15:35

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Last Weekend's Result:
Annoying Virus 1, Cordite Building 0.
Despite my best intentions, I had to admit defeat & spent most of the weekend sleeping, or resting.

At least I was able to use the internet & I also watched 'A car is born' (recorded from TV) for inspiration.
Being stuck indoors also let me work on a photo submission for the 2013 Sammio calendar.
Obviously it will not be a finished car, but I'll post a copy of the photo here in the next day, or so.

I'm now off work for a few days to spend half term with my family.
I will not get a chance to do much before the weekend, but I did grab a few minutes earlier...

Clutch Pedal Clearance:
Previously, my 'mock up' / test fitting of parts highlighted a possible issue with the clutch pedal.
It appeared to hit the front foot well panel, but at the time it was not connected to the clutch.

So I undid all the bolts temporarily holding the pedal bracket to the Cordite frame work.
Then I put them back in, this time bolting the clutch master cylinder bracket into place too.
After reconnecting the end of the pedal to the M/C, I had a working clutch pedal once more.

Now, I could see how far the pedal moved under normal working operation conditions.
The bad news is that not only does the pedal still hit the front foot well...
It would also go as far as the frame itself with the foot well removed completely.

And that is before you add the extra layer of plywood on top to join the panel to the body.
So I think there needs to be a bit of the proverbial beard scratching to find a solution.

Brake Master Cylinder:
I knew I had clearance issues with the M/C, but the brake pedal may also foul like the clutch.
Anyway, one problem at a time, and I made a cardboard cut out to match the height of the M/C.
The M/C length would only fit if the frame behind the dash board was cut & re-joined around it.
Something similar to the job Mister Towed did on his frame to accommodate his instruments.
( See photo in his reply above. )
However, I will still need 4 cm from the top of the front frame to the top of the M/C.

So I will see what space I have to play with when I do my next test fit of the body shell.
But I have a rotten feeling there is no way this will clear without some sort of bulge fitted.
And that may have to cover both the bonnet & bulkhead which would be tricky.

Shopping Update:
Well at least my fibre glass stuff has now arrived, so I have the stuff needed build a bulge.
But there were some serious fumes coming from the boxes (thankfully no leaks, I checked).
So I had to quickly shift them to the garden shed and leave the windows open to air the house.
I passed the shed today and it smells like there is a glue sniffers convention going on inside!

Until next time, take care, Paul.

Last edited by Paul L; 10th September 2019 at 09:47..