View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2015, 06:36

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Testing Times - Part 2:
After a bit of research it seems there is a "flash to pass" option for my headlight switch.

The lever needs to move back towards the driver to operate, but the plastic column cover currently prevents this happening.

So the cover came off again and I tested the switch without it and the "flash" worked with the headlights switched off.

So I simply "pushed" the whole lever assembly forward a tad and re-fixed it into position & put the cover back on.

Thankfully it now works as it should, including when the headlights are on low beam, so another tick on the electrical testing.

Next I had a look at the heater fan switch and quickly realised there was a problem.

Although this is not a very clear "before" photo, you can see the two coils of wire are connected to the switch "base".

But now the wires connecting these coils are both broken.

So I've removed this part of the switch completely.

I've also ordered a replacement that does not have this external coiled wires arrangement.

Then I moved the old battery into the passenger floor pan and connected up the fan directly.

The good news is that the fan definitely blows air through the vents.

I've no idea what the fan is meant to sound like, so I made another short video of it in action.

https://youtu.be/vhYR8VaovJQ

I guess I am more aware of the fan noise because the engine in not running.

Unfortunately, my attempts to put this theory to the test failed, when I couldn't get the engine to start.

At which point, I decided to walk away from the Moon Rover and turn my attention to the body shell...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As I need to sort out the drainage for the boot lid before the body shell is bonded on.

At one point I was going to fit a "Y" piece and have both boot lid drain holes exit through a single pipe.

But now I think I will use two exit pipes and a straight(ish) exit route on either side.

I just need to double check the space between the boot floor and the body shell before I drill a hole and fix this pipe in place.

I might add some brackets, similar to the ones I used for the front wiring loom, to help keep the hose out of the way.

The only other thing I did today was play with my bonding paste "experiment".

I ground down the excess paste, which still felt a bit "tacky" to me.

Thankfully this left a "dry" solid surface below and these two pieces are seriously stuck together.

Whilst it is a pain to re-do electrical work I thought I'd finished, I know it has to be done.

But I will be very happy when I get to the bottom of what is causes the side lights problem.

Until next time, take care, Paul.