View Single Post
Old 11th October 2015, 07:13

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Psycho Pops - Cheers, I also found those early Spyder build threads inspiring, as they lead me to join this forum and buy a Cordite.

Without a doubt, I certainly would not have over come the challenges I've faced without the help and support of the people on this forum.

I know there is a lot to be said for not setting a specific finishing date, but I do intend to be on the road sometime in 2016, see below.

( Edit: I wrote this reply yesterday, to a post that is no longer there, honest. )

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"On The Road" vs. "Finished":
Whilst I have enjoyed following Swifty preparing and painting his car over the last few months.

The HUGE amount of time & effort this sort of super smooooth finish requires is really quite scary.
( I also remember all the effort put in by Mac, Mr T, DaveCymru, Scottie, etc. on their builds too. )

So I have finally decided to stick with the basic plan of aiming for an MOT before final paint & associated prep work.

Micky1Mo successfully used this approach on his BMW Sammio...

June 2015 - MOT'd & On the road.

October 2015 - Painted.

Notes:
- I still intend to complete the wheel arches & body shell extension work, so I can finalise securing the bonnet.

- As most of my car is already covered in etch primer, I will ensure it is at least grey all over before the MOT.

- This approach means that things like the headlights and front indicators can stay where they are for now.

- I will then add the rear lights, aero screens, mirrors, etc. once the body shell is bonded on.
( Getting the car on the road will make up for any extra time required to remove all these items again for paint. )

- Some "finishing off" jobs like padded head rests and a tonneau cover (similar to Mr T's) were always due after paint.

- I will get some professional help to sort out my clutch problem and service/set up my engine properly.

- My "To Do" list just to reach an MOT currently stretches out beyond the curvature of the earth.

That last point means that I will not be driving the car anytime soon.

However, I do hope that it means I can have a separate "Post MOT" list for jobs that can genuinely wait.

More World Cup Rugby:
Another family trip out yesterday for our first visit to Twickenham to see Wales vs. Australia.

I spent 3 years living in The Valleys, but "Land of my further education" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Jokes aside, gutted that Wales couldn't make any of their numerous try attempts count.

Until next time, take care, Paul.