View Single Post
Old 6th October 2016, 11:13
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road
Default Complete!

I had forgotten about this thread, so I'll bring it to a close with my last update, as my Cabrio is now finished, painted, and about to make the front cover of Kitcar magazine.

Since passing IVA I have carried out a couple of small modifications I always intended to fit but knew might be an issue at IVA.

The Sierra door handles have never looked right to me on Cabrios - they are just the wrong period style: so I have welded patches into their door holes, and fitted conventional rotating handles.

I've always liked the Aston fuel cap too, but again was concerned it may not pass IVA, so I've now cut out the standard recess.......

........glassed in a flat sheet of GRP....

...... and made a new filler neck and fitted the Aston fuel filler.

The Marlin powder coat finish is worse than useless - it goes rusty within months of receiving the kit. My chassis was poor despite being dry stored its entire life, so I had to remove slabs of peeling paint, and re-do the whole chassis in POR15, which makes a much more durable finish.

I was lucky to find a new 71/2" 3.36 Cosworth LSD on ebay at a reasonable price, and sold my rare 3.14 diff to help cover the cost.

It was then time to dismantle the complete bodywork to have it painted.

I am really pleased with the quality of the paint job undertaken by Normandale in Daventry.

It took a while to re-build again, but this is now the finished article:

Finally to bring the build up to date (and beyond!) - the November 2016 issue of Kitcar features my Cabrio on its front cover, and an 8 page spread inside!

........... all good things come to those who wait - 11 years in my case!

Of course there are still changes I want to make, some pretty major, such as an engine upgrade to the BMW M54B30, plus 6 speed gearbox, which will provide loads more low down torque making for a really nice cruiser. I have the Corsa C Epas power steering conversion I prepared earlier on in my build but chose not to fit prior to IVA.
These two mods should keep me occupied this winter, and it should emerge as a very driveable car next year.

"Next year" ............. where have I heard those words before..........?