Thread: Door buttons
View Single Post
Old 7th September 2011, 16:05

Flip is on a distinguished road
Default The Ultimate solution

I now have a cast aluminium casing for the door button. The button itself is from 50mm Aluminium rod. It is designed to only allow 10mm of travel by turning the bottom part down to a diameter of 40mm. The casing has a 50mm openning at the top and 40mm at the bottom. The casing is kept in place by a shaped piece of plastic tubing as a spacer and a large round nut to lock it up tight. Under the button will be a small universal joint tapped to take M4 threaded rod. The universal joint allows unmatching movements to work together. It could be used on any door button system but will only take up to M4 rod. (The original door button from Chris uses a M6 thread so an adapter would need to be made to bring it down to M4.) I will then use the M4 threaded rod to link to the catch itself. The rod only needs a little heat to bend it to a right angle.

Picture list of parts: 1. Cast outer casing 2. Plastic pipe spacer 3. Round locking nut 4. Button made from 50mm round bar 5. Magical miniature universal joint 6. 3x M4 nuts for locking to bottom of button and either side of the universal joint 7. M4 threaded rod

The joy of not losing the button inside the door. I will stand by the car and push and push and push the button till my heart's content.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Door Button solution.jpg (67.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Unpolished button assembly.jpg (75.5 KB, 8 views)