View Single Post
Old 31st January 2017, 15:47

softfeet is on a distinguished road

Many thanks for the helpful replies.

I have read on American Triumph TR forums about converting ‘tubed’ wire wheels to ‘tubeless’ by using silicone and /or some sort of insulating tape, but I would not be happy going tubeless with a DIY method.

Why I am looking at tyres as narrow as 155 or 165? Because it will be a small, light, low powered car. I hope to decide on the most suitable wheel tyre combination and the fit the cycle style wheel arches to them, rather than pick wheels / tyres to fill the arches.

The choice of 70 profile arises because of the limited choice of 80 profile tyres available with that width on a 14” wheel.

As to the car….

30 years ago, I built a Dutton Phaeton; by now I have just about recovered from the experience. Incidentally, I built it in the ex-briefing room of a disused RAF Second World War bomber base in Cambridgeshire.

My new project is inspired by the various 1950s specials, such as the Speedex 750 and Hamblin Cadet. I have a 1.0 litre Coventry Climax FWMA derived engine. I also have Triumph GT6 front and rear hubs and driveshafts. I need to source a GT6 differential, steering rack, etc, but there is plenty of time for this. I am trying to use ‘period’ parts wherever possible. For example, I have a set of old Triumph TR3 instruments which are about to be reconditioned.

The chassis (currently in my head!) will be a simple multi-tube arrangement. The original ‘Locost’ might provide inspiration, but with its known faults corrected and made smaller in certain dimensions.

It will have a simple torpedo shape body with 4 separate cycle wings. It will be made out of aluminium. I am currently researching places that have wheeling machines, etc. There are still a few ‘old chaps’ who can do this sort of artistry, although I am very aware of the potential cost.

And yes, it will need to go through IVA.

It will not be a quick project, but like others have said, break it down into small modules and tackle each one as a separate project.

I will certainly put some pictures up when there is something to show!