Thread: New project
View Single Post
Old 16th June 2019, 09:59

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Daytona suffered another setback, the starter motor had stuck. No amount of tapping it with a succession of larger and larger hammers would free it so off it went to the local Jag independent which is only a couple of miles away. He managed to tap it back into life. He did, however, find the front crank oil seal was leaking badly so I got him to do this as well as it is a pig of a job. He also mentioned how poor the brakes were and felt it was the fact that there wasn't enough vacuum.
Fitted a Volvo vacuum pump which is wired up to the brake light switch, press the brake pedal and the pump creates a vacuum and so you should have decent brakes. Doesn't work as well as it should but if the pump is wired up to run continuously, then the brakes work well. At least I know now the cause of the problem. The Jags have a largish vacuum tank in the brake system, the idea being if the car stalls you have enough stored vacuum for a couple of presses of the brake pedal.
I am intending to plumb the vacuum pump into the vacuum tank with it wired into the brake light switch. Just keep my foot on the brake pedal before moving off to create the vacuum in the tank and hopefully when you press the brake pedal a combination of stored vacuum and the pump running should do the trick.
If I don't post again you can presume it didn't work!