View Single Post
Old 18th August 2022, 20:11
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Time for an update?

Well, I guess it's time for an update.......

First up is a bit of corrective rework of something of a bit of a cock-up I made a while ago when I developed my brake system.
I've never really been happy with the 'feel' of my brakes despite numerous bleed sessions. After a brief discussion with Robin he suggested I check the bore size of my master cylinder. The master cylinder I initially fitted has a bore diameter of 17.8mmm and the standard Sierra master cylinder has a diameter of 22mm. It doesn't seem much difference at first sight until you remember the volume of fluid displaced is proportional to the square of the radius. It immediately became clear that this was a big mistake so I embarked on changing the master cylinder to one for a Sierra.

New Brake Master Cylinder by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

The next problem was to find a suitable push rod but ebay came to my rescue with this one the perfect length.

The mushroom shaped end of the new pushrod was too large for the Sierra master cylinder so I had to reprofile it like this.

I also made up this 10mm thick spacer. Two reasons, one was that the hole in my mounting plate was too small for the new master cylinder and I didn't fancy making it bigger. Secondly, the output ports are spaced 10mm nearer the bulkhead and i didn't fancy trying to shorten the brake lines and re-flaring the ends in situ. I made the spacer with a hole-saw, a hacksaw and a file. You can see how close one of the mounting screws is to the mounting screw for the Sierra master.

New master cylinder being trial fitted to set the correct length of the pushrod.

The next challenge was to find a Sierra reservoir which are like hens teeth. This one came all he way from Lithuania and was filthy dirty inside and out when it arrived. Lots of brake cleaner and it came up okay. Also, the fluid level switch was corroded inside but I took it apart and cleaned up the contacts and it now works fine.

Now all plumbed in and system filled with fresh Dot 4.

All finished and brakes bled and feeling much better.

I'm now working on lining the interior with sound proofing before tackling the carpets.....

......peter