View Single Post
Old 13th April 2013, 10:40

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

Time for a recap.

I bought the Scimitar in August 2011 to take part in the Guild of Motor Endurance 'London to Athens commemorative run' in September 2012.

Shortly thereafter I saw the Sammio advert for re-bodying the Scimitar and I visited the Exeter Kit Car show in October 2011 and paid a deposit for a kit.

I had the Scim extensively checked over by Queensberry Road Garage and all faults listed (worn track road ends - welding to the passenger seat belt bracket) and drove the Scimitar to Sammio Cars in Poole.

I hoped that once the body had been removed and welding done I would visit then recover the reusable parts from the donor.

As the build progressed I made stage payments (I'm not THAT stupid) with someone hired to rewire, paint etc as my funds allowed.

My mentor (Peter Herbert of Fairthorpe Club fame) had died a few years previously and I wanted this car to honour his memory. My father had passed away in early 2011 and I used much of the small inheritance he left to fund the project. Both he, my late mother and Peter would have been thrilled if I had been able to complete the road trip in the G46.

Unfortunately, for reasons explained elsewhere, the order was not fulfilled and the incomplete G46 was moved from Poole to the workshop of Tribute Automotive for completion of the minimum order.

The car had been left unprotected and is in a worse state than expected I do not apportion any blame to Tribute Automotive for this.

While at Poole someone removed the carb air cleaner, smashed the oil filler cap and took out the spark plugs. If it got them out of a hole, fair enough.

I do not know if the engine is ok but there is a lot of fibre glass dust around the carb. I did not have the opportunity to source the donor parts which were disposed of.

With the benefit of hindsight I made a mistake - however we move on.

Styling - my view is that the back of the car looks ok, but a little deep at the rear. The front needs some styling work - the bonnet hump is too pronounced, the wings a little too deep and the radiator intake too narrow - just a few tweaks then....

That's it for now - will be busy emptying my workshop of rubbish before installation of what my partner calls the new 'Garden Ornament' or the 'White Elephant' depending how kind she is feeling..

Last edited by Nike55; 19th June 2013 at 17:37.. Reason: Photobucket deletions