View Single Post
Old 15th April 2013, 06:51

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road
Default Tubes & tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike55 View Post
Charman.tech, many thanks for your kind comments - I hope now to be able to contribute to the site more meaningfully, although most G46 builders are ahead.

I'm thinking of taking the body off the chassis for inspection and repair (as I don't know what's under it). While the body is off I plan to re design the attachment areas, certainly the 1" square 'goalposts' have not been rounded off and I'm thinking of detaching these and using 2" dia cds tubing at the front and behind the occupants.

On the following shot you'll note the rear bulkhead centre support seems a little far back compared to the glassed in ply area, I'm thinking of cutting it all out and starting again here too with 2" cds, following the contours of the hump and suitably braced - probably running back to the rear fuel tank.

I'm not too sure about the tank as it sits in the chassis rails at the rear see here:

I've got an XJ6 in the workshop and I might just fit the twin tanks..I was hoping to keep things simple and the stainless tank is in good nick, just needs the filler moving elsewhere...

Oxford1360 - Thanks, its been a freaking nightmare - now looking forward to 'getting at it'.

I quit my job in November 2011 really in preparation for 2012 and building the car - time got away from me, so its now going to be a two year sabbatical!
Nike55

We ended up getting rid of the 1" square tubing (to sharp) built ply bulkheads back and front shaped tight to to body profiles and then cut the tubing out. Having said that we will have a proper roll cage fitted as per "Hawk 289 FIA"

Because we never had a tank (original rusted out) and the fact we could not get a spare wheel into the boot area especial our 6J wire wheels on 185's we have decided to use a aluminium rectangular fuel tank up against the rear bulkhead bulk head possibly a safer place for it, being forward of the rear axle
and use the area of the original tank to suspend the spare wheel externally. The tank wont be large 40 Litres or so but have never found that an issue on this type of car as it is not exactly your daily commute.

Quitting the job seems to be a bit dramatic to get the build done luckily fr me I think I will be retired before ours is finished.