View Single Post
Old 16th April 2013, 08:22

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

HH - many thanks for your positive and really useful comments.

I'm glad the donor provided suitable reference points for you, I didn't get the chance to see it at Poole.

I was keen to get Chris Welch at Tribute Automotive to have it VOSA'd by the friendly and knowing inspectors at Bournemouth as my nearest centre is the dreaded Borehamwood. There was a delay from Jan to April as the key man had at B'mouth left and Chris had to get the new guy trained up!

I simply wrapped her up on arrival so haven't poked about too much but dropping the servo and getting bits to fit will be a priority before the body comes off.

The headlights not being cut out was a bonus, but I now have to decide where they go. Too far either way and it won't look right.

I have to get it into the shop, levelled and marked up to see if all is aligned.

Of the gauges only the orig tacho, water and oil temp worked properly, everything else was rather dodgy - I suspected power supply probs. I will spend a bit on new gauges to get a period feel. The Odometer/speedo calibration was way off 40 mph shown at 30 mph...

The doors didn't seem too far out - didn't seem to fit due to excess glassing on the body - will trim then see. LL advised the door moulding was off the Spyder. Might glass them in...Jury's out on that.

Chris Welch has some Aston style hinges which might fit the bill as scissor, suicide and Tiger Moth styles have now been discounted.

Thanks for tip on flat floor. Woke up last night dreaming about side exit Cherrybombs as the car morphed into a Cobra....had to remind myself of the C-Type.

The area of the humps backwards is a definite redesign tweak. I don't need too much space and I'm sure I can do something about the size and weight of the spare (maybe a space saver)

I'm hoping the engine is ok - will try a start once I've inspected the bores and 'prepped - although I've got an alternative engine that could be fun to rebuild and fit, but that might be considered a Radically Altered Vehicle and be subject to IFA?

As with Charman.Tech this will probably now be a retirement project.

I've opted out of Patounes future thread's - far too depressing!

Later posts well be shorter.