View Single Post
Old 30th August 2016, 11:55

fatbloke is on a distinguished road

Thanks to everyone who has commented. I took a trip to the Ace Cafe last night (it was a Porsche night but then you can't have everything) and the car certainly turned few heads. BTW - they have a kit car night there every now and again.

Barber - I think the main thing I would do differently is in the prep before painting. The gel coat finish from the moulds isn't perfect and the car would have benefited from a skim of filler over it all. There are also some very specific high points which have gone back to primer where I've sanded. I have seen people using a rattle can to find the high and low points and would probably do this before applying the primer if I were to start again.

The other thing I would probably do differently is be less aggressive when taking off the orange peel. I used either 240 or 320 grit paper and dry sanded. With more time and effort I could have got away with 400 wet sand and kept more of the top coat on and not had to go through so many grades to get to the final finish.

Ah, the benefits of hind sight. One of my better qualities is my perfect hind sight :-D