View Single Post
Old 29th April 2014, 18:15

Paul L is on a distinguished road

a big scary monster - Cheers, I enjoy reading detailed build threads, so thought it was only fair I did the same.
I also figured if a ham fisted amateur like me can build one of these cars outside, then anyone could.
Especially as the Ribble Navigator is a much better kit all round and most of the work I have done is not required.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Still Chipping Away - Part 1
I test fitted the floors to the frame so I could mark up and drill the holes for the pop rivets.

The first thing I noticed was that one of the holes I'd drilled on the driver's side floor was not going to work.

The position of the cross frame rail leaves a gap from floor to frame.

With the floor removed it is easy to see the slight drop in the "factory" set up.

Whereas the new passenger side section that I welded in sits flush.
( Surely luck, rather than judgement. )

So I simply drilled a new hole in the floor a bit further inward.
( The gap will be filled by the bonding paste, so I'm not going to worry about it. )

With all the other holes required marked up I could start drilling the frame.

I stuck the rivets in just to make sure that the holes in the floor & frame lined up.

I will be bonding the floor to the frame, so the rivets are just going to help hold everything in place when the time comes.

Then I cleaned up the chassis ready to put some paint on where the frame and bulkhead will sit.

This was the overall view "before".

The rear bulkhead mounting point.

The front bulkhead mounting point.

Dare I say the previous owner had left a bit of over spray from the body shell on the chassis too.

After a coat of Hammerite smooth, the whole thing looked a lot better.

While the paint was out I touched up the floors where I was drilling the holes.

I also got to finish off the last bits of the framework.

End of Part 1....