View Single Post
Old 1st May 2014, 15:18

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Scottie - Thanks, getting these big "jigsaw" pieces sorted out will be a major step forward.
But you know as well as I do, that it is bound to take longer than I expect to do the work required.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bloody Typical!
Glorious sunshine all day yesterday when I was on domestic chore duties.

Wet and miserable all day today when I have some time available to play with the car.

Still I could get a few small jobs done while taking shelter from the rain.

I cleaned the old blue paint of some of the bulkhead mounting bolts.

After some cleaning and some new washers, the full set now looks like this.

Another recent Ebay purchase was a bag of self tapping Tek/Tech(?) screws that came with a matching drive socket.

I hadn't picked up on the fact the socket has a magnetic head, but that makes using the screws so much easier.

The first job for this lot will be to fix the outer door skins back onto the body shell from the outside.

Which will allow me to cut away the rest of the door opening lip and fibreglass them into place from the inside.

But as I've never done anything like this before I decided to do some experiments with some fibreglass off cuts.

So I drilled a few holes.

Using the screws was very straight forward and they certainly hold everything together nicely.

I know that there will be a lot of "cutting & shutting" required when I start on the body work which is quite daunting for me.

However, I do take comfort from the fact that lots of other builders have done this kind of work before.

Clearly Tribute are masters at this, given how nice their cars end up, despite starting like this.

Mac also had a nice example of a repair carried out from the "inside".

Similarly, you can not tell that Mr T's dash started off looking like this.

Depending on the weather, I might get a chance to refit the bulkhead & rear arches tomorrow morning.

Cheers, Paul.