View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2014, 14:29

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Small Jobs Against The Clock - Part 1
I am expecting a "gaggle" of 8 schoolgirls to arrive any minute for a pizza, DVD & popcorn night.

So I'd better be quick.

My first priority for the day was to get the house ready for my daughters' guests.
( Thankfully I'd done most of the hard work on Wednesday. )

Then I tried to get as many small jobs as I could done on the car while the sky remained black throughout.

I sorted out the chassis bracket that supports the fuel and brake hard lines.

This allowed me to fix the lines back to the chassis.

Next I added some rolled up masking tape to my rubber washers.

That way I could "stick" them to the chassis while I tried to but the bulkhead back on.
( All my previous attempts at doing this myself have ended with these washer all over the place. )

I managed to get the bulkhead into position without scraping the new chassis paint.

Then I bolted the bulkhead into place, although some bolts were more of a pain than others.

It quickly became clear that I would also need to use these original spacers on two of the fixings.

They were needed on the "outside" of the bulkhead mounting point.

Next I drilled through the crush tubes so the frame fixing bolts can pass through.

I still need to clean up the bottom edge of the chassis, but was trying to limit the tools I took out.

I will cut the bolts down to size once I have test fitted everything.

Unfortunately I had an epic fail with another plan to cut a bolt down to size.

I didn't notice that the new bolts I ordered switched from fully threaded to part threaded as the length increased.

By now I had also put the rear arches back on the chassis and this is where the arches are bolted down originally.

But the "feet" of the rear frame work need to sit on top of the arches like so.
( Obviously welding these feet back on to the frame is still on my to do list. )

Even allowing for adding a rubber ring, these bolts are too long.

End of part 1.

Last edited by Paul L; 2nd May 2014 at 21:14..