View Single Post
Old 31st December 2014, 15:25

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Scottie - Funny you should mention that, as I was looking closely at the radiator mounts the other day.
As I'd remembered the work you had done to lower yours and could see how/where it was possible.

However, it looks like I should be able to get away without changing the standard Spitfire engine layout.
This is because I have effectively raised the height of my scuttle compared to the original Cordite design.
( Which had been built around the smaller Herald bulkhead, instead of an original Spitfire one. )

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Just to follow up on yesterday's post, here is the hole in the flat bar I repaired.

As I will be enlarging this, I don't need to worry about the small gaps that remain.

Bonnet Hinges - Part 1:
Before I could start any car work I had to use some salt to "grit" the driveway & the pavement.

As these days the sun will not reach this area, so it was very slippery under foot.

Next I wasted some time trying to create some sort of level playing field.

As I'd feel happier I was lining the bonnet up properly if I didn't have a sloping drive.

But there was no easy way of getting the car into a horizontal position, so I abandoned this idea.

I also accepted that there is only so much I can do, so I just need to do the best I can.

Then I spend some time propping up the bonnet so it all lined up as good as I could get it.

At which point I remembered that I was supposed to clean up the metal for welding before I did this.

So I removed the bonnet and got to work with my grinder.

Then I lined everything up again for the second time and tack welded one hinge in position.

This allowed me to position the other side as best I could and tack that into place too.

So for the first time since I started this project, the bonnet was actually held in place by itself.

But then it was removed again so I could finish welding the flat bar to the chassis.

I've love to say that all four edges were welded up as nice as this one...

But they weren't.

Still, at least the two brackets were very solidly fixed into position.

Then I removed the hinges from the bonnet, so I could add some "stops" at the end.

Thankfully I had just enough flat bar left to make them.

I had to draw a very rough guide sketch so I could remember which way was up.

Then I was left with a very agricultural looking chunk of metal.

End of Part 1...