View Single Post
Old 1st November 2013, 15:06

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Shadow, pop by anytime - dave (the rattler) pops in and we have a chin wag over the kits and what we are doing and what we have bought. PM me for my address.

Regarding the Miglia vs Sammio debate, they are both the same really, but here are my initial thoughts - although I do like them both! Again - I can't comment on the Ribble because I haven't built one ------ yet

I like the Miglia one piece body rather than the flip front of the Sammio, as I think the longer front end makes it a little more classic in shape.

The Miglia pushes the bulkhead back and uses a fibreglass bulkhead so it makes it a little more challenging to build with gearstick extension and steering column extension, but again the cockpit being further back makes it a bit more sports car like.

Both cars (and the ribble obviously) have to go through the process of bonding the body on and using the Spitfire fuel tank - the Miglia puts the tank behind the rear axle giving you storage space behind the seats, whereas the original Sammio and now Ribble put the tank forwards with the option of a boot space. Either work well and to be honest these cars are more for fun and runs out rather than serious touring (unless you are that way inclined). You can be creative with side pockets (as I did in my Sammio) or build in storage in other areas if you want to.

The Sammio has no doors which means climbing over - but they are so low anyway that this is fun rather than a problem. the doors on the miglia are nice to have but aligning and sorting out hinges and locks is a challenge too.

The beauty of them all is that they are based on a car that is simple with plentiful spares and lots of opportunities to make them your own as you have seen. If you have the Sammio body, then use that. A lot of the issues with the body symmetry are not noticed once you have built the car - no one ever notices.

The second one is always easier and you learn what works and what doesn't, and for this one I am making subtle modifications such as electric radiator fans (blowing on a custom built radiator) and leaving out things like a stereo system - you can't hear anything anyway!

If I were you Ikon, I would build the Sammio to get the experience - sell it and build the next one to keep!