View Single Post
Old 12th September 2023, 08:42

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default Fan-nying about.

On Sunday I pitched in early to address radiator fan fitting. I first offered it up to the ample nose space and decided to hang it from a lateral bar with downward angled bottom supports. Each side of the inside top of the bonnet opening there was originally a glassed in wooden stiffener, the offside one of which I had partially replaced with a sturdy length of aluminium angle to bridge the missing chunk cut out by a previous owner for DCOE Weber clearance. The upper support will mate with these, the lower two with existing holes in the Triumph radiator supports on the frame rails beneath. After seeing what was available on Ebay I bought a couple of metres of 15mm x 15mm x 2mm aluminium angle which should arrive in a couple of days.

So, yesterday I addressed the wiring. First job: disconnect the battery's earth lead! Searching through my box of switches I found one to match the existing, tested it and drilled its new home hole in the dash, using my stepped bit. Why I didn't buy one of these decades ago I do not know, as the previously half-hour job was completed in a couple of minutes, including smoothing the edges. I ran the switch's feed wire from a spare spade on the ignition switch and another from the former's supply side through the bulkhead to a fused relay I had decided to mount on the engine side. Probably not essential but better safe than sorry. I ran an earth wire from it to the frame rail beneath where there was an existing drilled and tapped earthing point. I then used 17amp wire both from the starter solenoid to one of the relay's switched spades, and from the other along the engine bay side to in front of the radiator, leaving enough length spare for connecting and tidying up. I likewise ran a 17amp earth wire from the fan's proposed home straight down to another of my demon earthing points.

Let's hope the nice man brings my ally angle soon so that I can complete the job, when I will post again

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 12th September 2023 at 08:44.. Reason: Typo.