View Single Post
Old 10th August 2009, 10:19

thecarbuilder246 is on a distinguished road
Default jh into deon

hi jon.
I have done most of the things you plan to do.I was unlucky in that I never received a boot or engine cover with my shell.I have a very good friend with a jh classics gt and he loaned me his. Being a mould maker I took moulds from his and made my own-I have hinged the front bonnet the correct way and have also created a split boot at the back.If you already have these items then some careful work cutting of the engine lid and perhaps a little fiberglassing to create a return lip will see a good result.I believe classic replicas uk hinge the front bonnet forwards so hinges may be obtainable from them-but you may also need some welding skills to beef up the front chassis member to take the added weight.
The recessed lights at the front will need major work cutting and re-fibreglassing to get them right.Possible but alot of messy work.I believe deon altered this area as mine have the correct recessed lights.
As to the doors-I have done alot of work here as JH and deon doors were a very poor fit indeed.Again major fiberglass work to build up the doors to get good shut lines and alterations to the door hinges-not for the faint hearted.The aluminum door frames were diabolical-someone had mig welded these and the quality was utter garbage.I am currently making my own from steel and plan to have opening quaterlites too. I have included a photo-work in progress!!
Regarding the twin roof-sorry I cant help there as mine is a gt fixed head coupe.
Also before anyone gets in contact I no longer have the moulds for the bonnet or twin rear boot lids-they were scrapped!! I got fed up tripping over them.