View Single Post
Old 30th August 2011, 21:17

simmos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarbuilder246 View Post
hi all
I wouldn't say the deon was a bad car. I have seen several very well put together customer cars that I would be glad to own. But it has to be said I've also seen a few that weren't put together very well at all.
Your right about the prices of these cars.I have some late eighty which kit mags with deon cars priced at 35k!! Mind you at that time real dinos were upwards of 200k in the boom years. A good one is worth around 12/14k as you rightly say.
Hindsight is a very good thing.No way would I have got involved with deon had I known what was to come.I got into kit cars when I got fed up chasing tin worm.After restoring a morris minor,2 fiat 128 coupes and an early mini cooper s I started looking at kit cars.As a kid I'd always like Tony Curtis's car in the persuaders.Didn't know what is was but loved it.Well at a kit car show at stoneliegh out in the club stands there was one.and the rest they say is history.
That brings us up to today some 16 years later, on axle stands unfinished in my garage, as I guess are so many deons.
Don't want this thread to decend into a negative again but i feel it's only right to state that i have heard as many horror storys about the old John Hurst Classic's AKA Deon company as i have about Classic replicas.

Yes they did produce a number of completed cars.

The problems i have seen with the Deon Dino replicas amongst many others are a very cramped foot well that makes the cars virtually impossible to drive hence the cars usually have low miles, various modifications can and have been made to some of the vehicles but in their standard configeration they are a pig to say the least and can be down right dangerous if your foot gets caught on the steering rack when reaching for the brake.

The Deon Dino's were never further developed after early ones hit the road in the 80's....until Classic Replicas took over.