View Single Post
Old 28th January 2022, 21:02

Paul L is on a distinguished road

JG - Thanks John.

Thankfully, here is something I prepared in Word earlier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
…Prepare for lots of cyclists who end up crushed under the back wheels of vans and HGV's because the drivers can't see the cyclist exercising their right to undertake them at junctions…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
At least they'll go to their deaths with the smug satisfaction that they were in the right.
Mr T – Please read this question as if it is written as politely as possible.
(Which is certainly my intention.)

How many cyclists have been killed by motorists while doing nothing wrong and merely exercising their right to ride on road?

I’ve ridden bicycles & motorcycles, plus driven cars and vans up to tail lift size.
(Sorry no tanks, but, like Kon, I loved your driving test story.)

While cycling, I’ve never undertaken any moving vehicle indicating left in front of me, why would I?

But that is not the same as saying I haven’t had something turn immediately in front of me, requiring me to take evasive action to avoid injury or worse. Either because someone on my side of the road has come from behind and attempted to overtake me and turn left in a single manoeuvre, or someone on the other side of the road has just turned right because there are no cars coming towards them and they aren’t even looking for two wheels. In both cases the vehicle has moved into my space, not the other way around.

Don’t get me wrong, there are idiot cyclists, just the same as there are idiot car drivers.

Similarly, I am not saying the new rules are perfect, or whether they make things better or worse.

However, this thread does appear to be missing the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
Hence the bias towards cyclists priority.
It is not about bias towards pedestrians/cyclists, it is bias towards vulnerable road users.

Honestly, no lorry driver has been killed when a cyclist has hit their HGV.

”Let’s be careful out there.”

Cheers, Paul.