View Single Post
Old 19th April 2022, 08:24
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley View Post

Also in the interim, on a whim, I bought a Dutton Phaeton II minus engine and 'box as it was such a bargain and the front landing strip was looking lonely. Whilst pondering what the hell I was going to do with yet another kit car, I hit on the idea of passing on the Marlin and putting the 'Climax' engine and 'box in the Phaeton instead, which I'm certain is quite a bit lighter. It has the integral front wings and headlights which make it, to my eyes, quite ugly. These I would cut off, patch the holes with ally sheet, and fit Lotus Seven flared wings (I have access to a pair) and headlights on stalks to complete the look.

The question is, should I pursue my original plan or the new one? As my very first kit was a Phaeton II, and I've built a Marlin once already, I'm leaning heavily to the Lotus Seven-ish option.

Regards, Mick
My first kit was also a Dutton Phaeton, and my second a Marlin Roadster. In my view there is no comparison. The Dutton (in my experience) was poorly made and flimsy compared with the Marlin. I may have been unlucky but absolutely nothing fitted on my Dutton and one of my outstanding memories was the steering column support which was a single exhaust clamp and flimsy welded strip. Which needless to say broke at the most inconvinient moment.... In its defence it was very light and it was the first kit I built (I knew nothing....).
But given the choice I know which I would build again.

Cheers, Robin