View Single Post
Old 7th January 2018, 15:02

Paul L is on a distinguished road

A Short Break
After a few days away with my family, I had a chance to go out for a quick spin this afternoon.

First job was to check the oil.

The bad news is that I am definitely burning and/or losing oil.

The good news is that I still get a kick out of opening the bonnet on hinges I made myself.

I was out for about an hour / 20+ miles, which was still long enough to freeze my ar$e off.

So I only managed to take one photo while I was out.

At some point I will need to give the car a wash as it is getting pretty filthy now.

A few highlights from my drive:

Let an old style Fiat 500 pull out from a side road in front of me and we exchanged big smiles as we passed.
As this '500' was on steroids, a 'Pro Street' drag racing style, complete with roll cage and serious sounding engine.

Waved at a hardy MX5 driver, who is the only one I've seen with the roof down in all my recent 'chilly' drives.

Was carefully weaving my way over Harrow Hill due to the small gaps left by parked cars.
Then just as I was pulling into the single car width space ahead of me, a young chap decided to play 'chicken'.
There was a big plume of black smoke out of the back of his old 3 series BMW as he tried to accelerate into the same gap before I got there.
He failed.
Instead, he just ended up blocking the road in front of me with nowhere for either of us to go.
Despite the Romanian number plate he appeared to fully understand the short blast of Anglo-Saxon that I gave him.
He also understood that his dumb driving meant that I wasn't going to be the one doing the reversing.
So I just inched forward as he slowly/carefully reversed back down the road, past at least 10 cars that were previously behind him.
As these were now all safely tucked in on their side of the road leaving him no where to pull back in.
[Del Boy]
"What a plonker!"
[/Only Fools and Horses]

Until next time, take care, Paul.

PS
Someone pointed me to this advert for a 1957 Falcon for sale in the USA.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ks-sportsracer