View Single Post
Old 22nd December 2012, 17:03
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road
Default Christmas 2012 Update

With only 9 days to go to the end of the year I have failed on a promise I made to my wife......................to have my Cabrio finished this year!
Progress has been limited by the usual things in life getting in the way - illness, elderly parents needing looking after, my wife going back to teaching full time (and I mean full time - 70 hours a week!). So, progress has been a little slower than I would have liked.

Anyway, for those that are still interested I thought I'd post a few shots of key steps since May:
I've finished the new rear diff support bracket, and its all reassembled.
[IMG] Standard Sierra Diff, with Scorpio Style Rear Supports by Mike's Marlin BMW Cabrio, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] Rear Diff Mount Fitted by Mike's Marlin BMW Cabrio, on Flickr[/IMG]

The Marlin GRP boot lid does not fit the rear tub very well so requires a lot of fettling and filling to bring all the shut lines parallel, and surfaces level........but I got there in the end.

[IMG] Making The Shut Lines Parallel by Mike's Marlin BMW Cabrio, on Flickr[/IMG]

My original header tank did not work, as it was too low, so I made a new one from a surplus piece of stainless exhaust tube:

[IMG] Expansion/Header Tank by Mike's Marlin BMW Cabrio, on Flickr[/IMG]

I was so pleased with it, I decided to make myself a new washer bottle, which I had to extend after Dave Kitson kindly pointed out it must hold 1 litre!

[IMG] Capacity Increased! by Mike's Marlin BMW Cabrio, on Flickr[/IMG]

..and I've made a new set of stainless petrol tank straps:

[IMG] Stainless Fuel Tank Straps by Mike's Marlin BMW Cabrio, on Flickr[/IMG]

Not achieved as much as I would have liked really......

.....but I did have a dabble with an Electronic Power Assisted Steering column from a Corsa, after another Marlin owner pioneered the idea. Its all ready to install, but it will have to wait until after the IVA, as it could lead to possible problems with a non standard item used in the steering mechanism :

[IMG] EPAS & Standard Sierra Steering Column - shown at the same length by Mike's Marlin BMW Cabrio, on Flickr[/IMG]

I've finally resolved a tiny fuel leak from the fuel tank output collar by having a new collar welded on, so I'm now ready to re-fit the fuel tank, and hopefully start her up again over the holidays - yeah!

[IMG] IMG_3356 by Mike's Marlin BMW Cabrio, on Flickr[/IMG]